Monday, April 6, 2009

Major League Baseball is Dumb

Why does Major League Baseball schedule opening day in outdoor ballparks in northern cities? I've never understood that. Today you have Chicago snowed out, Boston rained out and flurries with temps in the 30's in St. Louis and Cincinnati. There's plenty of teams out West and in the South, or teams that have the ability to play indoors. I would think you could ship cold weather teams on the road for the first week of the season and avoid many of the cancellations due to dicey weather in early April. I know the schedule needs to be balanced, but it seems the game is better off with fewer postponements. I'm sure owners in cold weather cities wouldn't mind as they would take less of an attendance hit if they can avoid inclement weather. Having opening day in Chicago, Detroit, Boston, Pittsburgh etc... just doesn't make sense to me.

Even though my White Sox got snowed out, today is my favorite sports day of the year. My two favorite sports are baseball and college basketball and you have opening day along with the national championship game tonight. Being an Illinois alum, I don't say this much, but Go State!

No comments:

Post a Comment